Thursday, February 8, 2018

#6 of 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks--Favorite Name

For week 6, Amy Crow's suggestion was "Favorite Name." Gosh, that sounds so easy BUT how do you pick just one? In my family none of the names for the men are terribly unusual. There's, Joel, William, Israel, Joseph, August, David, Arnold, Kevin, Patrick, Alexander, to name a few. 

For the women, the names are quite typical, with Margaret, Marie, Mary, Charlotte, Martha, Louise, Sophie and on Sophronia. The most unusual, however, would have to be Mourning. For the life of me I can't find a reason or history behind using this as a first name.

Oh, and the most frustrating of them all has to be Daniel and John! In one branch of the family, There's Daniel (A) who had a son Daniel (B) and a son John  (A). Daniel (B) has a son Daniel (C) as well as a son John (B). John (A) also has a son Daniel (D) and a son John (C), and on it went for generations. To make matters even more confusing, no middle names were recorded. Many died intestate making it very difficult to sort out estate and probate records as they all lived in the same county. There should have been a law! 

Kendrick Lamar, a rapper/song writer from California has said, "If I'm gonna to tell a real story, I'm gonna start with my name." Then make it strong and for goodness sake, if you must be named after an ancestor add a middle name so distinguishing one from the other is more easily done.
If I'm gonna tell a real story, I'm gonna start with my name.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/kendrick_lamar
If I'm gonna tell a real story, I'm gonna start with my name.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/kendrick_lamar

1 comment:

  1. It is a lot easier to find those less common names! I thought my Cornelius was an unusual name, but then found there were a lot of them in the same time and place!

    ReplyDelete